Thursday 2 April 2009

Immortality

My auntie died today. They haven't finished the post-mortem yet, so I don't know why she died, but she did... Well, her mortal life did anyway...

I'm not gonna start spouting loads of religious nonsense, because I don't believe any of that reincarnation stuff, and I have no idea whether there is an afterlife or not, but I think of memories as a form of immortality...

What I mean is that she lives on in my heart and in my memories, just like the only other person I know who has died. I've been quite lucky, I've not had many deaths to deal with, and no funerals to attend. This is probably a bad thing in the long run, as everyone will suddenly go at the same time. That'll suck. Big time.

But back to my immortality theory... Basically, I feel that for as long there is someone alive who can think of you and remember you, you are never truly gone from this world. And all those famous inventors and scientists and scholars and kings etc... All those people who have left something behind, whether it be great or small, they are immortal in history books, and in the inventions that influence our everyday lives, and in photographs and potraits, and subsequenly in the imaginations of young children as they learn about them in school, and in the imaginations of tourists who wonder at their architechture and cathedrals...

As far as I'm concerned, nobody is ever truly dead until every last trace of them has been lost in the depths of time...

Rest in peace Auntie P
xx

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for you lost...she will definitely live on in your heart.

    ReplyDelete